Monday, September 26, 2011

Strawberry Pickin

I had lots of fun things I want to do this summer with Julianne and one of them was to show her the strawberry fields. She loved the strawberry fields, but mostly eating the strawberries. We went early in the morning to avoid any field trips, and we got there just in time because as we were finishing a group of kids started coming up our row to start picking. It was a fun experience for both us, since it was my 3rd time to pick and Julianne's 1st. We got the big bucket and filled it to the brim, I'm estimating we got 6 qt, so it was probably $1/qt.!! They tasted so good you don't even need sugar on them!! Julianne was my little helper she helped pull the wagon and she also tasted them to make sure we got the ripe ones. I picked my little heart out because I knew she was going to get antsy (and playgroup was at 10)so it probably took me alittle over 30min. to fill the bucket. When we got home I washed them and cut the stems and then layed them on a cookie sheet, so they wouldn't stick together when I froze them. The other half I'm sure will be devoured in the next day or so. I used the frozen strawberries in smoothies or thawed to have as toppings on shortcake=Yummy!!

May 2011 Strawberry Pickin

1 comment:

Megan (and Fam) said...

Yum!! It's hard to find good strawberries in the midwest, plus they are super expensive. What a fun experience.